The excavation necessary for the pond began in 1817. The project was completed in 1824, including the rock and the horticulture. In 1966, after the waterline to Müllendorf was destroyed, the pond was largely covered again with earth from necessary excavations.
The former shape was recognisable in the ground structure of a newly planted grass area. Over the course of restorations that took place between 1993 and 1997 the former pond was excavated once more.
Garden archaeological preparations were needed to verify the pond's floor was made leak proof and the construction of the scarp walls was excavated. The shore, scarp walls and rock rims were renewed and restored, respectively.
The pond could be filled again after the artesian source on the western edge of the pond was revived and the Buchgraben water line was refurbished. It could only be completed once a new waterline will have been installed.
The temple was begun in 1818.
In 1819 the columns were set up and the edifice was first referred to as Leopoldinen Temple.
In 1821 the terrazzo floors were made and in 1823 the temple was painted on the inside. Already during the building period, there were problems with humidity. These problems necessitated that there be windows in the building that were not planned.
Air vents had to be put in at floor level and on the base of the cupola.
The temple underwent major restorations between 1995 and 1997.
At this time a copy of the original statue of Leopoldine, the "Principessa Leopoldina Esterházy", was put inside the temple, too.
The creator of the statue, the Venetian Antonio Canova (1757 - 1822) was the most famous sculptor of classicism in Europe. The artist charged 1200 Zechines for the statue.
The artist himself admitted that he only charged 200 Zechines less than he did for the world famous portrait of Paolina Borghese.
This showed how immensely proud the artist was of his work. When the statue first arrived in Vienna in 1818, it was placed inside the greenhouse of the Palais Esterházy in Vienna Mariahilf.